If you have the energy, tangy and tart cranberry chutney makes a lovely sauce alongside the pie. If not, leftover cranberry sauce dressed up with a bit of ginger, orange zest, and shallot is fine.
For the cranberry chutney:
- 1 tablespoon oive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Add the olive oil and shallot to a small saucepan and cook until wilted and soft. Stir in the garlic and sauté a minute or two more just until fragrant but not browned. Add the cranberries, ginger, orange zest, cumin seeds, sugar, and apple cider vinegar. Bring the whole pot to a simmer and cook until the cranberries pop, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Let this mixture cool. Serve slightly warm or room temperature. Covered and stored in the refrigerator, this chutney keeps for 1 week.
Recipe from Food52